Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tootsie Rolls

Tootsie Rolls will now forever remind me of my father-in-law, Carl. It was during one of his better weekends. We were there and so was my sister-in-law, though I think she was just leaving. There was a huge bag of Tootsie Rolls on the table that her kids had bought. Carl and I were sitting at the table. Mr. P was doing something out in the barn or garage. Penboy was playing with cats and dogs. And Carl and I were just sitting there, keeping each other company, eating those Tootsie Rolls. It was a good moment. He told stories and we laughed. And it was such a sweet time.
Today, I was eating a leftover Halloween lollipop and it was a  Tootsie pop, as it turned out. The taste of that chocolatey middle brought that time back to me. I almost didn't want to finish that Tootsie pop, to make that memory last.

No comments: