Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Yas'm

Certain people at work have been getting up my nose. I have the un-fun task (actually, it's mind-numbingly dull and has very little to do with technical writing) of doing layout for a manual. This means no writing, but putting everything in Adobe FrameMaker and making sure things look OK. There is one Research person who sees herself as better than most, at least better than technical writers. She stopped me as I was going to my desk the other day (literally had not yet sat down, had on my outside shoes and handbag). This is the conversation that ensued.

Stuck-up R&D Person: Oh, good morning. We will need to talk about the tables you will put in my chapters sometime soon.

Pengirl: Oh, OK.

SRDP: I don't know what you can do. Can you make them look good?

Pengirl: Well, I guess so.

SRDP: (Reminiscing) I used to have this wonderful technical writer (read servant). I just used to give her things and she made them look good without asking. She just did it! It was Sarah, have you ever met her?

Pengirl: I think I met her once (remembering someone extremely full of herself and rude).

SRDP: Well, I guess I'll come over and explain later what I'd like you to do with the tables.

Pengirl: (sorely tempted to say: tables, I thought those were them things you rich folk eat on) OK, bring some examples though.
(walks away stomping)

Let me explain. Technical communicators write procedural information. In fact, I wrote a chapter for the same manual. We are not in charge of making things look pretty. Graphic designers do that. Unfortunately, at this company, technical writers also do layout. R&D people often think that is the only thing we do. Well, certain R&D people. There is one lady who is great and totally respects the work we do. I suppose I should not be so hard on SRDP. She has a freaky looking daughter, so I suppose her life is not easy. No, really this kid has the face of a 30-year-old on a baby's body. I try not to stare at her picture every time I pass by SRDP's desk.

No comments: