Friday, December 21, 2007

Hey, Santa

Watched Miracle of 34th Street last night. The one with Richard Attenborough. I love that movie. I especially love that moment when the guy leans out the window of the courtroom and says "Santa Claus wins!"

I'm sure I already mentioned that it was my own mom who told me there was no Santa. But as I got older I kind of half believed there was, at least some sort of benevolent holiday spirit that made magic happen. I really want Christmas to be a magical time for Alex so he has those nice Christmas memories. The magic seems to be taking its time this year though.

I remembered when we were in Algeria. Many of the contractors had small kids and they got together and had a kids party. They asked my dad to be Santa, complete with a white beard and big belly (which he does not normally have) and the red suit. Some of the six year olds were just starting to doubt, I think. All the parents were good about not mentioning to their kids that there would be a special visitor at the party. All the kids were playing and suspecting nothing when there was a knock at the door. My dad strode in in full Santa garb. You should have seen the faces on the older kids. It was like "holy crap, he does exist!" I almost believed it myself for a minute.

This is what I wish you all this Christmas or Chanukkah or Kwanzaa or Saturnalia or whatever holiday you choose to celebrate - that priceless moment of realizing the magic is happening. May you all be well and have a table full of food and a heart full of joy.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Happy New Year darling!