Friday, October 15, 2004

Last day

...at Evil before mat leave. Am totally bored because I was stupidly efficient and finished all my work yesterday. Ah, well.

Had a lovely call from Australia yesterday, from Lorena who is also preggers. Now, after talking to her, I truly appreciate having this baby in Canada. She has to pay for her health care because she is still not a permanent resident and also they have a two tier system and the private part is way better than the public. So, she has to pay three grand for the birth and hundreds more for blood tests, ultrasounds and the like. Sheesh! She also said that women on maternity leave do not get any benefits from the government at all. I asked 'what about single mothers' and she said 'don't even get me started because my blood pressure will go up.' I guess it really is a country where men are men and women are too.

In knitting news, I am taking a break from my gray sweater to make a new scarf. The scarf is coming out really nice. The yarn is a little fuzzy and I am using the seed stitch, which gives it a lot of texture.

I know this day will drag though it's a short one (I have to leave at two to go to the doctor). OK, five more hours to go...

No comments: